Documentum in Maintenance Mode
One thing that was apparent throughout the event was Documentum and existing interfaces (Webtop, D2, xCP) moving into more of a maintenance mode. Some examples included:
- Rohit’s quote that Documentum was “feature complete” during the keynote.
- Subsequent article in CMSWire that “No one is asking for more features or functions”
- Documentum Roadmap that focused on releases that will make Documentum easier to upgrade.
Other expectations – moving beyond
Documentum is feature rich – not clamoring for more capability. As we pointed out from the morning Documentum 7 session, ECD is treating Documentum as complete and has focused on making it simpler to run Documentum.
Actually, the statement about “feature complete” is totally weird. If my memory serves me right, today is 2016 but Documentum still suffers from childhood diseases like:
- Partial support of unicode
- Extremely limited SOAP/REST API (please check my thoughts on ECN, actually, in my last project, I’m trying to map CRUD operations on DFC calls and got some progress on that)
- Poor integration capabilities
- Java-only API
- non J2EE compliant DFC library
- Poor java-api
- Poor documentation
- Poor performance
- Poor security
- Poor support
This is how “mature application” does look from EMC perspective. Actually, my opinion about maturity of Documentum is following:
- in 2007 EMC acquired XHive and after that they implemented XHive storage support in Documentum (I have never used it)
- further EMC implemented xPlore (also based on XHive), technically xPlore have no search capabilities at all: it grabs all data from database and storage, puts it into another big database and tries to performs XML queries against xml database
- further EMC implemented xCP2 which relies on xMS which in turn based on XHive
- further EMC implemented InfoArchive that is based on XHive
- now EMC is trying to implement Horizon/LEAP which is also based on XHive
- the co-founder of XHive was Jeroen van Rotterdam, who is ECD CTO in EMC now
From my perspective it is obvious that ECD/IGG/etc development vector had switched to XHive long time ago.